Topics Covered: Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues.
Bal Gangadhar Tilak’s 100th death anniversary:
One of the firebrand freedom fighters and the strongest proponent of ‘purna swaraj’ or ‘total self-rule’, Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak’s 100th death anniversary was observed on August 1st.
- Part of the Lal-Bal-Pal (Lala Lajpat Rai, Bal Gangadhar Tilak and Bipin Chandra Pal) troika, Bal Gangadhar Tilak was called ‘father of the Indian unrest” by British colonial rulers.
- Jawaharlal Nehru called him the ‘father of Indian revolution’.
- Mahatma Gandhi described Tilak as ‘the maker of modern India’.
His famous slogan:
His slogan ‘Swaraj is my birth right and I shall have it’ caught the imagination of a country fighting to free itself from the colonial rule.
Tilak’s birth anniversary was on 23rd July. A detailed article has already been published. Hence, we request you to go through this article:
- Extremists vs Moderates in the Indian National Congress.
- Who founded All India Home Rule league? What were the objectives?
- Newspapers published by Tilak.
- Tilak’s association with the Deccan Education Society.
- About Gita Rahasya.
- Who described Tilak as the “maker of modern India”.
Bal Gangadhar Tilak played a vital and major role in India’s freedom struggle. Discuss.
Sources: the Hindu.