Topics Covered: Important International institutions, agencies and fora, their structure, mandate.
UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)
Context: Prime Minister to address High-Level Segment of ECOSOC.
The annual High-level Segment convenes a diverse group of high-level representatives from the Government, the private sector, civil society and academia.
- Theme: “Multilateralism after COVID19: What kind of UN do we need at the 75th anniversary”.
The UN Charter established ECOSOC in 1945 as one of the six main organs of the United Nations.
It is the principal body for coordination, policy review, policy dialogue and recommendations on economic, social and environmental issues, as well as implementation of internationally agreed development goals.
It has 54 Members, elected by the General Assembly for overlapping three-year terms. India is the member of ECOSOC (From 1 January 2018 – 31 December 2020)
- It coordinates the work of the 14 UN specialized agencies, ten functional commissions and five regional commissions, receives reports from nine UN funds and programmes and issues policy recommendations to the UN system and to Member States.
- Principal organs of the United Nations.
- ECOSOC- composition and functions.
- High Level Segment of ECOSOC.
- UNGA vs UNSC- key differences.