Topics Covered: Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nano-technology, bio-technology and issues relating to intellectual property rights.
Human Growth Hormone
Context: In a first-of-its-kind case, a 2018 Commonwealth Games silver medallist and reigning national champion weightlifter- Pradeep Singh has tested positive for Human Growth Hormone (HGH).
- He has been handed a provisional four-year suspension after his blood sample tested positive for HGH, which is prohibited in and out of competition by the World Anti- Doping Agency.
What is HGH?
It is known to increase muscle mass, strength as well as tissue- repairing effects, which has been used as a doping agent in power and endurance sports
It is produced in the body and secreted by the pituitary gland near the base of the brain.
- When the gland releases the growth hormone, it results in the secretion of a protein called IGF-1 from the liver. This protein is what ultimately stimulates the growth of bones, muscles and other tissues.
The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) is a foundation initiated by the International Olympic Committee based in Canada to promote, coordinate and monitor the fight against drugs in sports.
It was established in 1999 as an international independent agency composed and funded equally by the sport movement and governments of the world.
Headquartered in Montreal, Canada.
- The agency’s key activities include scientific research, education, development of anti-doping capacities, and monitoring of the World Anti-Doping Code, whose provisions are enforced by the UNESCO International Convention against Doping in Sport.
- Brief overview of UNESCO International Convention against Doping in Sport.
- About WADA.
- International Olympic Committee.
- What is HGH? Where is it released?
- Role of HGH.
- IGF- 1 protein is related to?
Write a note on the functions of World Anti- Doping Agency.
Sources: Indian Express.