India Energy Modeling Forum
In the recent joint working group meeting of the Sustainable Growth Pillar, an India Energy Modeling Forum was launched.
Composition: The forum would include knowledge partners, data agencies and concerned government ministries.
- NITI Aayog will initially coordinate the activities of the forum and finalizing its governing structure.
Sustainable Growth Pillar is an important pillar of India-US Strategic Energy Partnership co-chaired by NITI Aayog and United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
- The SG pillar entails energy data management, energy modelling and collaboration on low carbon technologies as three key activities.
The Forum aims to:
- Provide a platform to examine important energy and environmental related issues;
- Inform decision-making process to the Indian government;
- Improve cooperation between modelling teams, government, and knowledge partners, funders;
- Facilitate exchange of ideas, ensure production of high-quality studies;
- Identify knowledge gaps at different levels and across different areas;
- Build capacity of Indian institutions.
What is Energy Modelling?
Energy modeling or energy system modeling is the process of building computer models of energy systems in order to analyze them.
- Such models often employ scenario analysis to investigate different assumptions about the technical and economic conditions at play.
- Outputs may include the system feasibility, greenhouse gas emissions, cumulative financial costs, natural resource use, and energy efficiency of the system under investigation.
What are Energy Modelling Forums (EMF)?
The Energy Modelling Forum (EMF) in USA was established in 1976 at Stanford University to connect leading modelling experts and decision makers from government, industry, universities, and other research organizations.
- The forum provides an unbiased platform to discuss the contemporary issues revolving around energy and environment.
- NITI Aayog- composition and key functions.
- Role of EMF.
- What is Sustainable growth pillar?
- What is energy modelling?
Discuss the objectives and significance of Indian Energy Modelling Forum.