Nature Index 2020
Context: Nature Index ratings for the year 2020 have been released.
What is the Nature Index?
The Nature Index is a database of author affiliations and institutional relationships. The index tracks contributions to research articles published in 82 high-quality natural science journals, chosen by an independent group of researchers.
- The database is compiled by Nature Research, a division of the international scientific publishing company Springer Nature that publishes academic journals.
- The Index provides a close to real-time proxy of high-quality research output and collaboration at the institutional, national and regional level.
- The Index is updated monthly and also releases annual tables of country.
- It serves as an indicator of high-quality research in the Natural and Physical Sciences.
Nature Index metrics:
The Index provides several metrics to track research output and collaboration.
These include article count, fractional count, and multilateral and bilateral collaboration scores.
Performance of Indian institutions:
- Three of the autonomous institutions of the Department of Science & Technology, Government of India have found their place among top 30 Indian Institutions.
- These are the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (IACS), Kolkata at 7th position, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), Bangalore at 14th position and S. N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata at 30th position.
- Globally the top-rated Indian institutions in this list are Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), a group of 39 institutions at the 160th position and Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore at the 184th position.
The top five positions have gone to the United States of America, China, Germany, United Kingdom and Japan.