Topics Covered: Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability, e-governance- applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential.
SWADES: Skill Mapping Exercise for Returning Citizens
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: Key features and significance of SWADES.
Context: The initiative, undertaken as part of the Vande Bharat Mission, aims at empowering the returning citizens with relevant employment opportunities.
- It is a joint initiative of the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, the Ministry of Civil Aviation and the Ministry of External Affairs.
- The National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC)is supporting the implementation of the project.
- It aims to create a database of qualified citizens based on their skill sets and experience to tap into and fulfil demand of Indian and foreign companies.
- The collected information will be shared with the companies for suitable placement opportunities in the country.
The returning citizens are required to fill up an online SWADES Skills Card.
The card will facilitate a strategic framework to provide the returning citizens with suitable employment opportunities through discussions with key stakeholders including state governments, industry associations and employers.
Need for and significance:
The spread of COVID-19 across the globe has had a significant economic impact with thousands of workers losing their jobs and hundreds of companies shutting down globally. Many of Indian citizens returning to the country through the Vande Bharat Mission of the Government of India may be facing uncertainty regarding their future employment opportunities.
So, this initiative will help in deployment of returning Indian workforce matching their skill sets.
- What is NSDC?
- What is National Skill Development Mission?
- Implementation of SWADES?
- What is Vande Bharat Mission?