Topics Covered: Issues related to health.
African Swine Fever (ASF)
What to study?
For Prelims and mains: The Disease, spread, symptoms and concerns.
Context: Citing swine fever, China bans pork imports from India.
ASF has been seen in other Asian countries as well. Most recently, the Philippines had to cull more than 7,000 pigs to arrest the spread of ASF.
About African Swine Fever (ASF):
- ASF is a highly contagious and fatal animal disease that infects domestic and wild pigs, typically resulting in an acute form of hemorrhagic fever.
- It was first detected in Africa in the 1920s.
- The mortality is close to 100 per cent, and since the fever has no cure, the only way to stop it spreading is by culling the animals.
- ASF is not a threat to human beings since it only spreads from animals to other animals.
- According to the FAO, “its extremely high potential for transboundary spread has placed all the countries in the region in danger and has raised the spectre of ASF once more escaping from Africa. It is a disease of growing strategic importance for global food security and household income”.
- Difference between Swine fever and swine flu?
- Can swine fever affect humans?
- Is it a viral disease?
- Where was it first discovered?
- Which countries have been affected by this in 2020?
- Is there any vaccine available against this?
Write a note African Swine Fever, symptoms and its spread.