Topics Covered: Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability, e-governance- applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential;
Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance (UMANG) app
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: Features, services and significance of the app.
What is it?
UMANG is a Government of India all-in-one single, unified, secure, multi-channel, multi-platform, multi-lingual, multi-service mobile app, powered by a robust back-end platform providing access to high impact services of various organization (Central and State).
- Launched in 2017 to bring all government services on a single mobile app, with a larger goal to make the government services accessible on the mobile phone of our citizens.
- About 660 services from 127 department & 25 states, including utility payments are live and more are in pipeline.
Why in News?
7 services hosted on IMD website have been onboarded to UMANG Application. These include:
- Current Weather.
- Nowcast- Three hourly warnings of localized weather phenomena.
- City Forecast.
- Rainfall information.
- Tourism Forecast.
- Warnings- It is colour coded in Red, Orange and yellow are the alert levels with Red as the most severe category.
- Who developed UMANG app?
- What is colour coding of cyclone warnings?
- What is IMD?