Topics Covered: developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
Garbage-free star rating for the cities
What to study?
For Prelims: Rankings of various cities, methodology used for ranking.
For Mains: Significance of the rankings, relevance, challenges ahead, ways to address them.
Context: Union Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry has announced the results of garbage-free star rating for the cities.
- A total of 141 cities have been rated — six of them 5-star, 65 of three-star, 70 one-star.
- Around 6 cities were given 5-star rating. This includes Ambikapur, Surat, Rajkot, Mysuru, Indore and Navi Mumbai.
- Karnal, New Delhi, Tirupati, Vijayawada, Chandigarh, Bhilai Nagar, Ahmedabad are among ‘three-star garbage free rating while Delhi Cantonment, Vadodara, Rohtak are among one-star garbage free cities.
About the star rating initiative:
The star rating protocol was launched by the central government in January 2018 to institutionalize a mechanism for cities to achieve garbage free status leading to a higher degrees of cleanliness.
The protocol includes components such as cleanliness of drains & water bodies, plastic waste management, managing construction & demolition waste which are critical drivers for achieving garbage free cities.
It is one of the various initiatives which intends to make Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban (SBM-U) as a successful project.
How cities are give ratings?
- The Star Rating is supported by self-assessment and self-verification for achieving a certain star rating.
- It also ensures the involvement of citizen groups for a transparent system of self-declaration.
- The self-declaration is further verified through an independent third party agency appointed by MoHUA.
The performance of cities under the Star Rating Protocol is crucial as it carries significant weightage for their final assessment in Swachh Survekshan.
It also ensures certain minimum standards of sanitation through a set of prerequisites defined in the framework.
Since the rating is conducted at a city level, it makes the process easier to implement and helps the cities incrementally improve their overall cleanliness.
- What is swachh survekshan survey? Who conducts it?
- SBM urban vs rural.
- Cities with 5- star rating?
- Objectives Of SBM Rural.
- Methodology used for rating of cities.
Discuss the significance of Swachh Bharat Mission.