Topics covered: Conservation related issues.
Jal Shakti Abhiyan
What to study?
For prelims and mains: features, need for and significance of the campaign.
Context: Under the National Jal Shakti Abhiyan, Centre has decided to utilize the upcoming monsoon season to expand its water conservation efforts.
Ministry of Home Affairs, as per the Centre, has allowed to take up MGNREGA works/drinking water and sanitation works at the time of lockdown with priority to be given to water conservation and irrigation works.
About Jal Shakti Abhiyan:
- It is a time-bound, mission-mode campaign.
- Launched in 2019, it covered 256 water stressed districts across the country.
- The campaign will run through citizen participation.
- It is also a mass movement to bring all the stakeholders under one ambit of water conservation drive.
- It is a collaborative effort of various Ministries of the Government of India and State Governments, being coordinated by the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation.
Work to be done under this initiative:
- Rejuvenation of the traditional water bodies.
- Desilting of ponds and lakes.
- Encroachments removal in the water bodies.
- Catchment area treatment.
- Construction and strengthening of inlets/outlets.