Topics Covered: Major crops cropping patterns in various parts of the country, different types of irrigation and irrigation systems storage, transport and marketing of agricultural produce and issues and related constraints; e-technology in the aid of farmers
Krishi Kalyan Abhiyaan
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: Key features and significance of the scheme.
Context: The Krishi Kalyan Abhiyan (KKA) is being implemented in 112 Aspirational districts of the country.
About Krishi Kalyan Abhiyan:
Launched in 2018 under the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare.
Aim: to aid, assist and advise farmers to improve their farming techniques and increase their incomes.
- Krishi kalyan Abhiyaan will be undertaken in 25 Villages with more than 1000 population each in Aspirational Districts identified in consultation with Ministry of Rural Development as per directions of NITI Ayog.
- In districts where number of villages (with more than 1000 population) is less than 25, all villages will be covered.
- The overall coordination and implementation in the 25 villages of a district is being done by Krishi Vigyan Kendra of that district.
Various activities to promote best practices and enhance agriculture income are being undertaken under this plan such as:
- Distribution of Soil Health Cards to all farmers
- 100% coverage of bovine vaccination for Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) in each village
- 100% coverage of Sheep and Goat for eradication of Peste des Petits ruminants (PPR) also known as sheep and goat plague
- Distribution of Mini Kits of pulses and oilseeds to all
- Distribution of Horticulture/Agro Forestry/Bamboo plant @ 5 per family(location appropriate)
- Making 100 NADAP Pits in each village
- Artificial insemination saturation
- Demonstration programmes on Micro- irrigation
- Demonstrations of integrated cropping practice