Topics Covered: Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
Software Technology Parks of India (STPI)
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: STPI- features, objectives and significance.
Context: In light of the current coronavirus pandemic, the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has decided to provide rental waiver to IT companies housed in STPI premises in the country from March to June, i.e., for 4 months period as of now.
About Software Technology Parks of India (STPI):
It is an autonomous society under Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), Govt. of India.
It was established in 1991 with the objective of encouraging, promoting and boosting the export of software from India.
The STPI’s Governing Council’s Chairperson is the Union Minister for Electronics & Information Technology.
The objectives of the Software Technology Parks of India are:
- To promote the development and export of software and software services including Information Technology (IT) enabled services/ Bio- IT.
- To provide statutory and other promotional services to the exporters by implementing Software Technology Parks (STP)/ Electronics and Hardware Technology Parks (EHTP) Schemes, SEZ scheme and other such schemes which may be formulated and entrusted by the Government from time to time.
- To provide data communication services including value added services to IT / IT enabled Services (ITES) related industries.
- To promote micro, small and medium entrepreneurs by creating conducive environment for entrepreneurship in the field of IT/ITES.
- To establish and manage infrastructure resources such as Datacom facilities, Project Management and Consultancy and IT support facilities.