Topics Covered: Biotechnology related issues.
What to study?
For Prelims: RT- LAMP- meaning, procedure, pros and cons.
For Mains: Significance of these testing kits for India.
What is it?
It is a diagnostic test kit that can confirm COVID19 in 2 hours at low cost.
It has been developed by Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology, Trivandrum, an Institute of National Importance, of the Department of Science and Technology (DST).
How it works?
The confirmatory diagnostic test detects the N Gene of SARS- COV2 using reverse transcriptase loop-mediated amplification of viral nucleic acid (RT-LAMP).
The test kit is highly specific for SARS-CoV-2 N-gene and can detect two regions of the gene, which will ensure that the test does not fail even if one region of the viral gene undergoes mutation during its current spread.
- The trial tests performed show that Chitra GeneLAMP- N has 100% accuracy and match with test results using RT-PCR.
- The detection time is 10 minutes, and the sample to result time (from RNA extraction in swab to RT-LAMP detection time) will be less than 2 hours.
- A total of 30 samples can be tested in a single batch in a single machine allowing a large number of samples to be tested each day.
What is Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)?
It is a technique for the amplification of RNA. It is used in the detection of viruses.
In this method, a DNA copy of the viral RNA is generated by reverse transcriptase, and then isothermal amplification is carried out to increase the amount of total DNA.
- DNA vs RNA.
- RT- LAMP vs RT- PCR.
- What is reverse transcription?
- What is Rapid antibody test?