Topics Covered: Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies.
Price Monitoring & Resource Unit (PMRU)
What to study?
For Prelims: About PMRU and NPPA.
For Mains: Key functions and Significance of PMRUs.
Context: Jammu & Kashmir Union Territory has become the 12th State where the Price Monitoring & Resource Unit (PMRU) has been set up by National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA).
Where else has NPPA setup PMRUs?
Kerala, Odisha, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab, Haryana, Nagaland, Tripura, Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh and Mizoram.
What is a Price Monitoring & Resource Unit (PMRU)?
It is a registered society and shall function under the direct control and supervision of State Drug Controller of respective states. The unit shall be funded by NPPA for its recurring and non-recurring expenses.
- Help NPPA and State Drug Controller in ensuring availability and accessibility of medicines at affordable prices.
- Organise seminars, training programs and other information, education and communication (IEC) activities in the areas of availability and affordability of medicines for all.
- Collect samples of medicines, collect and analyse data and make reports with respect to availability and over-pricing of medicines for taking action under the provisions of Drug Price Control Order (DPCO).
- Who can set up PMRUs?
- Role of states in setting up of PMRUs.
- Functions of NPPA in context of DPCO regulation.
Discuss the role and functions of Price Monitoring & Resource Unit (PMRU).