Topic: Case Study
7. You are the head of a govt. office. One day you find out that your subordinate is infected with HIV. Before you could stop the news from spreading, it had already become a topic of discussion among other members of the office. Now, they are pressuring you to suspend, sack or transfer him as they fear that his presence in the office might lead to other members getting contaminated with the virus. You try to make them understand that HIV does not spread from touching, but they are so skeptic and scared that they refuse to even listen to your reasoning. They all decide to not work until a decision is met. Your office is already under a lot of work pressure and in the next week you are to finish an urgent work within a deadline. How will you tackle this problem? Elaborate the steps that you will take to handle it.(250 words)
Why this question:
The question deals with the ethical challenge of implementation problem of a decision (already in mind) and not with taking a decision.
Key demand of the question:
One must clearly explain the ethical challenges involved in the problem and suggest suitable solutions that address all the associated concerns in an ethical way.
Elaborate – Give a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
Briefly explain what your role should be as the head of the govt. office.
- One can start by explaining the employees that a diseased person is to be empathized with and definitely not to be hated. To substantiate one’s arguments one can put forward few scientific researches in front of them to make them understand that they are not vulnerable to get infected.
- In spite of the above if the employees persist with their stand then one can write to one’s seniors apprising of the situation and requesting to arrange an alternative team with similar skill sets so that they can complete the task.
- In the meantime one can pass an executive order that the complaining employees have no option but to work with the current setup. Besides strict disciplinary action will be taken against all those who fail to comply with official orders.
- In the meantime one can put all efforts to meet the deadline. One can try to organize medical educational camps to raise awareness.
- You can set leadership by example, by making that employee sit next to you etc.
Conclude with necessity and importance of ethics and work culture.