Topics Covered: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
Schemes to boost bulk drugs manufacture
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: Features, implementation, significance of the scheme.
Context: The Union government has approved a package comprising the scheme on Promotion of Bulk Drug Parks and Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme to promote domestic manufacturing of critical Key Starting Materials/Drug Intermediates and Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients in the country.
Scheme on Promotion of Bulk Drug Parks:
- The scheme aims to promote medical device parks in the country in partnership with the states.
- Under the scheme, an incentive of five per cent of incremental sales over the base year 2019-20 will be provided on the segments of identified medical devices.
Implementation of the Scheme:
- The Scheme for Promotion of Medical Device Parks will be implemented by a State Implementing Agency (SIA).
- The PLI Scheme for promoting domestic manufacturing will be implemented by a Project Management Agency (PMA) to be nominated by the Department of Pharmaceuticals.
There are four categories of medical devices considered under the PLI Scheme:
- Cancer care/Radiotherapy medical devices
- Radiology & Imaging medical devices (both ionizing & non-ionizing radiation products) and Nuclear Imaging Devices.
- Anesthetics & Cardio-Respiratory medical devices including Catheters of Cardio Respiratory Category & Renal Care Medical Devices.
- AII Implants including implantable electronic devices like Cochlear Implants and Pacemakers.
Significance of these schemes:
Lead to substantial reduction in import of target segments of medical devices.
Boost domestic manufacturing by attracting large investments in the medical device sector.