Topics Covered: Population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
ODF+ and ODF++ under Phase 2 of the Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban)
What to study?
For Prelims: Key features of SBM- urban, targets.
For Mains: Implementation and significance of the mission.
Context: Parliamentary Standing Committee on Urban Development recently tabled its report on the performance of the Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban) in Lok Sabha.
- Despite the fact that work on three protocols under the next phase of Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban-2) — ODF+, ODF++ and Water Plus — is to be completed by 2024, the ground situation was not matching with the assigned timeline. The progress has been slow.
- Less than 30 per cent of the cities have been certified as ODF+ so far. Out of 4,320 cities declared ODF, as low as 1,276 cities have been certified as ODF+.
- The number of ODF++ cities — 411 — means that less than 10 per cent cities are certified as ODF++ so far.
What is ODF+, ODF++?
ODF+ and ODF++ were launched in August 2018 to further scale up and sustain the work undertaken by the cities after achieving the ODF status under Phase I of the Swachh Bharat Mission — Urban (SBM-Urban).
Eligibility: Cities that had been certified ODF at least once, on the basis of the ODF protocols, are eligible to declare themselves as SBM-ODF+ & SBM-ODF++.
What do they mean?
ODF+ and ODF++ are aimed towards proper maintenance of toilet facilities and safe collection, conveyance, treatment/disposal of all faecal sludge and sewage.
While ODF+ focuses on toilets with water, maintenance and hygiene, ODF++ focuses on toilets with sludge and septage management.
What is water plus?
Announced in August 2019, Water Plus aims to sustain toilets by treating and reuse of water. It contributes to the government’s focus on water conversation and reuse under the Jal Shakti Abhiyan and is in alignment with United Nations-mandated Sustainable Development Goal No 6 on clean water and sanitation.
Under Phase 1 of the Swachh Bharat Mission (U), 99 per cent of the cities became ODF, the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) had claimed in December 2019.
- States have an important role in ensuring progress under these programmes.
- MoHUA needed to move faster with regard to the coverage of the three protocols so as to adhere to the timeline of 2024.
- Additional funds will be required to sustain the ODF status and ensure complete faecal sludge management.
- ODF+ vs ODF++ vs Water plus- introduction and targets.
- Phase 1 vs Phase 2 of SBM.
- SBM Urban GS Rural, implementing ministries.
- Nirmal Bharat Abhiyaan vs SBM.
“Swachh Bharat Mission campaign has become the global benchmark for participatory and transformative development.” Elucidate.
Sources: down to earth.