Topics Covered: Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment.
NCS (NATIONAL CAREER SERVICE)
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: Objectives, features and significance of NCS.
Context: The Parliamentary Standing Committee on Labour in its report has flagged the under-utilisation of funds by the Union Labour and Employment Ministry, which was yet to spend almost 20% of its 2019-2020 Budget (revised estimate) as on February 10.
The report noted that utilisation of funds for the National Career Services (NCS) scheme of the Ministry, which facilitates job-seekers, was the worst compared to other schemes.
About NCS (NATIONAL CAREER SERVICE):
It is one of the mission mode projects under the umbrella of E-Governance Plan.
It works towards bridging the gap between job-seekers and employers, candidates seeking training and career guidance and agencies providing training and career counselling by transforming the National Employment Service.
NCS provides a host of career-related services such as dynamic job matching, career counselling, job notifications, vocational guidance, information on skill development courses, internships and alike.
The focus areas for the National Career Service platform are listed below:
- Enhancing career and employment opportunities.
- Counselling and guidance for career development.
- Focusing on decent employment
- Enhancing female labour force participation.
- Encouraging entrepreneurial endeavours.
- NCS vs Pradhan Mantri Rojgar Protsahan Yojana (PMRPY).
- Parliamentary committees and types vs Cabinet committees.
- Constitutionally guaranteed powers of these committees.
- Heads and composition of these committees.
- Nature of recommendations made by these committees.
The parliamentary standing committees are often described as ‘mini Parliament’, where the members are able to work outside of the party whip. Discuss their significance, challenges faced and measures needed for effective operations.
Sources: the Hindu.