Topic: Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present significant events, personalities, issues. The Freedom Struggle — its various stages and important contributors/contributions from different parts of the country.
2. What do you mean by Renaissance describe the main features of Indian renaissance?(250 words)
Reference: Modern Indian history by Spectrum publications
Why this question:
The question is straightforward and aims to examine the key features of Indian renaissance.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the concept of renaissance and the key features of renaissance specific to the Indian context.
Structure of the answer:
Briefly explain what renaissance is.
Social and cultural awakenings in India were a result of Indian renaissance that was inspired by the Western concept of reason, equality and liberty. Renaissance meaning revival or rebirth was the great transitional movement of Europe that swept away medieval unprogressive ideas and substituted it with individualism, material emancipation, skepticism, nationalism, a more sound economic system and self-expression. Indian Renaissance was started under the influence of the western thinkers. Main
features of Indian Renaissance were as follows:
- A new way of studying Indian past was brought in.
- Reinterpretation of Indian religious text and rituals was made, which brought
- Irregularities and mal-practices in our religion into light at that time.
- A new movement for socio-religious reforms were started under Raja Ram Mohan
- Roy and other intellectuals.
- It was influenced by western thinkers.
- Indian Renaissance gave rise to study of English literature thoughts, philosophies and books of history.
- Over political movements it has some influence and later on it was perfectly adopted by political movements.
Conclude by reasserting the significance of it to Modern Indian history.