Topics Covered: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources, issues relating to poverty and hunger.
World University Rankings by Subject 2020
What to study?
For Prelims: Ranking methodology and categorisation, performance of various institutions.
For Mains: Significance of this ranking and potential of Indian Educational institutions.
Context: QS (Quacquarelli Symonds) has released the World University Rankings by Subject 2020.
- To produce the QS World University Rankings by subject area for this year, QS analysed over 22 million papers, producing close to 200 million citations.
- 1,368 institutions have been ranked across 48 subjects in 5 broad categories across 159 locations, which reflects the scale behind this internationally benchmarked undertaking to produce these subject rankings.
5 categories are:
- Arts and humanities.
- Engineering and technology.
- Life sciences and medicine.
- Natural sciences.
- Social sciences and management.
Performance of Indian Institutions:
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay and IIT Delhi have secured 44th and 47th positions respectively in Engineering and Technology category.
- Top 100: Other Indian technological and engineering institutes like IIT Kharagpur (86), IIT Madras (88) and IIT Kanpur (96) found their places in top 100 of this category.
- However, engineering and technology was the only major subject group where Indian institutions were able to crack the elite top 100 tier.
- Overall, 12 institutions from the country were ranked in the top 500 in this category alone.
- In the Natural Sciences category, three Indian institutions made it to the top 200: IIT-Bombay at 108th rank, closely followed by the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore at the 111th position, while IIT-Madras scraped in at the 195th rank.
- Jawaharlal Nehru University remained the country’s top institution in the Arts and Humanities category, with a global ranking of 162, followed at a distance by Delhi University at 231.
- Delhi University topped the Social Sciences and Management category, with a global ranking of 160, followed by IIT-Delhi at 183.
- There are no Indian institutions in the world’s top 200 when it comes to Life Sciences and Medicine. The top institution in the country is the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, which had a global ranking of 231.
- Such reports and performance of various countries.
- Various institutions and their rankings.
What are Institutions of Eminence? Discuss the benefits of Institutions of Eminence to India.
Sources: the Hindu.