Topic: Probity in Governance: Concept of public service; Philosophical basis of governance and probity; Information sharing and transparency in government, Right to Information, Codes of Ethics, Codes of Conduct, Citizen’s Charters, Work culture, Quality of service delivery, Utilization of public funds, challenges of corruption. Case Studies on above issues.
6. Discuss the new public service management model. What are the principles of it? Explain. (250 words)
Why this question:
The question is straightforward and is from the static portions of the GS paper IV.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the new public service management model in detail and explain the key principles of it.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Explain – Clarify the topic by giving a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
Briefly explain what new public service management model is.
Start with the origin of the concept – The concept was propounded by Denhardl and Denhardt. Highlight the need for such a system – Explain that the central role of government is to provide service and to improve the service delivery mechanism. Government should run like a democracy, not like a business
Discuss key elements of the NPM :
- An attention to lessons from private-sector management;
- A focus upon entrepreneurial leadership within public service organizations;
- An emphasis on input and output control and evaluation and on performance management and audit;
- The disaggregation of public services to their most basic units and a focus on their cost management;
- And the growth of use of markets, competition and contracts for resource allocation and service delivery within public services.
Explain the importance of the new system applied to the Indian context.
Conclude by reasserting the significance of it.