Topic: Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora. Disaster and disaster management.
4. “In the episode of an outburst of an epidemic, secrecy is a killer and transparency the savior”. Comment. (250 words)
Reference: The Hindu
Why this question:
The article explains the Initial delay in reporting the disease and Steps taken by China in addressing COVID-19 epidemic and the faults involved in addressing the epidemic and lessons that need to be learnt.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must present the lesson from the case of china’s episode of COVID-19 that all countries should learn- that is in the event of an outbreak, secrecy is a killer and transparency the savior.
Comment– here we have to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue and form an overall opinion thereupon.
Structure of the answer:
Briefly explain the onset of the epidemic in China.
- Explain why China erred in its initial response in handling the case of Corona epidemic.
- Point out the faults and lacunae in the methods adopted by China.
- Explain given its capabilities, could have contained the spread with very little effort and resources had it been transparent and acted on time.
- Discuss the fact that China did not apply the lessons it learnt from the SARS outbreak despite strident global criticism.
- Downplaying and being secretive about public health issues, particularly novel virus outbreaks, as it found out during SARS, and then now, can be very counterproductive.
- Use the case of Kerala’s methods to handle the Nipah case; Transparency and timely action helped the State contain the outbreaks within days, with few cases and deaths in 2018.
Conclude with way forward.