Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topics Covered: Economics of animal rearing.
What to study?
For Prelims:Key features of the programme.
For Mains: Need for and significance of indigenous cow breeds.
Context: The government has unveiled a programme to research on ‘indigenous’ cows- SUTRA PIC.
About SUTRA PIC- Scientific Utilisation Through Research Augmentation-Prime Products from Indigenous Cows:
- It is led by the Department of Science and Technology (DST).
- It is supported by the Department of Biotechnology, the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, the Ministry for AYUSH (Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha, Homoeopathy) among others and the Indian Council of Medical Research as partners.
It has five themes:
- Uniqueness of Indigenous Cows.
- Prime-products from Indigenous Cows for Medicine and Health.
- Prime-products from Indigenous Cows for Agricultural Applications.
- Prime-products from Indigenous Cows for Food and Nutrition.
- Prime-products from indigenous cows-based utility items.
Aims and objectives:
- Scientific research on the complete characterisation of milk and milk products derived from Indian indigenous cows.
- Scientific research on nutritional and therapeutic properties of curd and ghee prepared from indigenous breeds of cows by traditional methods.
- Development of standards for traditionally processed dairy products of Indian-origin cows, etc.
Sources: the Hindu.