Topics Covered: World History.
Iran celebrates 1979 Islamic Revolution
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: Causes, effects and outcomes of the revolution.
Context: Iran celebrates 1979 Islamic Revolution.
About Islamic Revolution:
Also called Islamic Revolution, it was a popular uprising in Iran in 1978–79 that resulted in the toppling of the monarchy on February 11, 1979, and led to the establishment of an Islamic republic.
Reasons advanced for the revolution include:
- A backlash against Western imperialism.
- the 1953 Iranian coup d’état.
- a rise in expectations created by the 1973 oil revenue windfall.
- an overly ambitious economic program.
- anger over a short, sharp economic contraction in 1977–78.
- other shortcomings of the previous regime.
Following the Iranian Revolution of 1979, the Islamic Republic was formed under Khomeini’s rule. The U.S. Embassy in Iran was taken over by a group of Muslim students and 52 U.S. diplomats and citizens were taken hostage on November 4, 1979. This event came to be known as the Iran Hostage Crisis.
Sources: the Hindu.