Topic: Social empowerment
1. The share of the elderly in the population is expected to increase to 20 per cent of the population by 2050. Thus to ensure a life of dignity, social security and safety, enabling them to actively participate in economic development and the process of nation building is an absolute necessity. Discuss.(250 words)
Reference: Economic Times
Why this question:
The question pertains to the importance of involving the elderly in the process of nation building and ensuring their due participation in economic development.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the relevance of the elderly population to the demographics of a population and the need to have them involved in the process of economic development and nation building.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Briefly start with key facts/data showing the increase in the elderly population.
- Explain that equipping people in earlier age cohorts will help them remain in good health and involved in the community throughout the ageing process.
- Discuss how ageing is irreversible and inevitable.
- Explain that stronger partnerships between civil society, community and families are necessary to complement the actions taken by Governments in this regard.
- Discuss aspects like – The Madrid International Plan of Action adopted at the Second World Assembly on Ageing in 2002 offered a bold new agenda for handling the issue of ageing in the 21st-century.
It focused on three priority areas: older persons and development; advancing health and well-being into old age; and ensuring enabling and supportive environments.
Conclude with the significant contributions that aged people can make to the society.