Topic: Important Aspects of Governance, Transparency and Accountability. Conservation, Environmental Pollution and Degradation, Environmental Impact Assessment.
7. Discuss the recently released enforcement and monitoring Guidelines for Sand Mining 2020. How far will the new guidelines help in Sustainable Sand Management? Explain.(250 words)
Reference: Indian Express
Why this question:
Following a series of orders by the National Green Tribunal in 2018, the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEF) has for the first time released guidelines to monitor and check illegal sand mining in the country. Thus the question.
Key demand of the question:
Discuss in detail the new guidelines for sand mining and its significance; about illegal sand mining in India and government’s efforts to curb it.
Explain – Clarify the topic by giving a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
First discuss the status of sand mining in the country, use data and quote facts.
- Discuss briefly the background – The Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Act, 1957 has empowered state governments to make rules to prevent illegal mining, transportation and storage of minerals.
- But in the recent past, it has been observed that there were a large number of illegal mining cases in the country and in some cases, many of the officers lost their lives while executing their duties to curb illegal mining.
- Illegal and uncontrolled illegal mining leads to loss of revenue to the State and degradation of the environment.
- Discuss the aspects of Sustainable Sand Management.
- Explain how these new rules would aid in Sustainable Sand Management of the country.
Conclude with significance of such a move.