Topic: Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
7. The development of the anti-satellite (A-SAT) missile capability clenches vast implications for India. Explain and also discuss the associated concerns with the Mission Shakti.(250 words)
Reference: The Hindu
Why this question:
India showcased its anti-satellite (A-SAT) missile capability of the weapon, Mission Shakti, during the parade. Thus the context of the question.
Key demand of the question:
Discuss in detail the significance of development of the anti-satellite (A-SAT) missile capability for India; discuss the details of Mission Shakti and the challenges involved.
Explain – Clarify the topic by giving a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
First discuss what an anti-satellite (A-SAT) missile is.
- Discuss the details of the missile technology; it has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO).
- The A-SAT technology enables India to destroy an enemy satellite by directly colliding with it with pinpoint accuracy.
- A-SAT weapons play a critical role in providing the necessary strategic deterrence.
- Discuss the prospects it will have for India’s defence capabilities.
- Explain the challenges involved in Mission Shakti in detail.
Conclude with importance of such missions to India’s defence capabilities.