Topic: Case study based
7. Suicide frequency among the youth and especially students is rising in the country. Education is to be blamed for this to a great extent. Today while education is imparting attributes needed for competition and existentialist requirements, it is failing to give us eternal values like courage, character, patience, honesty, integrity, etc. Do you agree? Give reasons.(250 words)
Reference: Ethics by Lexicon Publications
Why this question:
The article is in the backdrop of the rising incidences of suicides among the youth which is mainly associated with the pressure that the education system is rendering onto it.
Key demand of the question:
Discuss in detail the case, provide for causes, analyse as to what needs to be done and suggest solutions.
Give Reasons – Weigh up to what extent something is true. Persuade the reader of your argument by citing relevant research but also remember to point out any flaws and counter- arguments as well. Conclude by stating clearly how far you agree with the original proposition.
Structure of the answer:
First discuss the issue of Suicides among youth; quote facts to highlight the issue; how it is related to lacunae in the education system.
- Discuss the causes, symptoms of suicides among the young.
- Mainly discuss the connection if any with the education system. Highlight the lacunae in the educational system.
- Highlight the fact that Education is perhaps society’s most critical responsibility. Educational institutions impart knowledge to students, lay emphasis on their physical well-being and prepare them for social challenges. But unfortunately, many educational institutions and teachers are not yet fully equipped to understand the mental health issues of students.
- Psychological concerns in children are on the rise, especially Behavioural issues and suicides. 12 per cent of Indian students between the age of 4 and 16 suffer from psychiatric disorders. 20 per cent show signs of mental disorders, out of which 2-5 per cent have serious concerns like autism or bi-polar disorder. Shockingly, every one hour a student commits suicide in India.
Conclude that Society, parents, educational system need to join hands for the holistic well-being of children.