Topic: Food processing and related industries in India- scope’ and significance, location, upstream and downstream requirements, supply chain management. Land reforms in India.
4. Inspect role that supermarkets play in supply chain management of horticulture products. How do they eliminate the issue of intermediaries? Discuss. (250 words)
Why this question:
The question is based on the significance of supermarkets and the role played by them in SCM of horticulture products.
Key demand of the question:
Discuss the significance of Supermarkets in SCM of agri products and produce, suggest where India stands in this aspect and what more is required to be done.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Fruits and Vegetable (FFV) are one of the most important components of a retail chain (supermarket). It acts as a strategic product in attracting the customers. Agri-food produces from the farmer’s field reach the end consumer through a long chain of intermediaries such as farmers/growers, cooperatives, wholesalers, retailers, commission agents, etc.
Discuss the role of supermarkets in the supply chain:
- The concept of agri-supply chain refers to the activities of procurement, order fulfillment, distribution, delivery and customer service executed by two or more separate organizations in the agribusiness industry.
- Agrisupply chain consists of small and medium enterprises.
- Supply chain collaboration has become the prerequisite for successful procurement and operational business practices for perishable products with the emerging trends of globalization and competitive marketplace.
- Supply chain planning in the agri-food industry integrates the complex network of farmers, demand, and supply to end consumers to enhance operational effectiveness.
Discuss its significance to Indian agri systems.
India is one of the leading producers of vegetables, fresh fruits and a number of food items. Marketing of fruits and vegetables especially is more challenging than many industrial products because of their perishability, seasonality and bulkiness. A supermarket is a self-service shop offering a wide variety of food and household products.
Explain challenges and issues if any and what way they can be addressed.
Conclude with way forward.