Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic: Important aspects of governance
2. Good Governance Index (GGI) is a welcome exercise to incentivize States to competitively deliver on public services to the citizens. Elucidate.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses in what way marking States on different parameters can incentivize performance.
Key demand of the question:
Discuss in detail the importance of Good Governance Index (GGI) and in what way it aids the different states to competitively deliver on public services.
Elucidate – Give a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
Discuss first the importance of Governance in general.
- First explain what is Good Governance Index (GGI)? – It is a tool to assess the status of governance and the impact of various interventions taken up by the State Government and UTs.
- Discuss the objectives of GGI.
- Highlight the key findings of the GGI report.
- Explain how it can help building a competitive spirit amongst different states of the country and aid in overall growth and development.
Conclude with way forward.