Topics Covered: Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues.
Pt. Madan Mohan Malaviya
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: Contributions and significance.
Context: The Prime Minister of India paid tribute to Pt. Madan Mohan Malaviya on his 158th birth anniversary (25th December, 2019).
- Madan Mohan Malaviya was a freedom fighter and social reformer.
- He had served as the President of the INC on four occasions.
- He was awarded the Bharat Ratna posthumously in 2014.
- He was the editor of a Hindi magazine, ‘Hindosthan’.
- He became the editor of the ‘Indian Opinion’ in 1889. He also started a Hindi weekly ‘Abhyudaya’, an English daily ‘Leader’, a Hindi newspaper ‘Maryada’.
- Pandit Malaviya was instrumental in founding the Benares Hindu University in 1916. He also became its Vice-Chancellor till 1939.
- He was opposed to separate electorates to Muslims and the Lucknow Pact.
- He was also against the INC’s participation in the Khilafat Movement.
- He was a participant in the Second Round Table Conference in 1931.
- He started the Ganga Mahasabha to oppose construction of dams in the Ganga.
- He was also a social reformer who opposed untouchability. He worked for the temple entry of Dalits at the Kalaram Temple at Nashik, Maharashtra.
- He also founded the organisation Shri Mathura Vrindavan Hasanand Gochar Bhoomi in Vrindavan.
Sources: the Hindu.