Topics Covered: Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
National Green Corps ‘Ecoclub’
What to study?
For Prelims and mains: NGP- objectives, ecoclubs and significance.
What is it?
Launched under the Environment Education Awareness and Training (EEAT), the National Green Corps (NGC) popularly known as “a programme of Ecoclubs” is a nationwide initiative of the Ministry of Environment & Forests, Government of India (now Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change).
- To impart knowledge to school children, through hands-on experience, about their immediate environment, interactions within it and the problems therein.
- To develop requisite skills of observation, experimentation, survey, recording, analysis and reasoning for conserving the environment through various activities.
- To inculcate the proper attitude towards the environment and its conservation through community interactions.
- To sensitize children to issues related to environment and development through field visits and demonstrations.
- To promote logical and independent thinking among children so that they are able to make the right choices in a spirit of scientific inquiry.
- To motivate and stimulate young minds by involving them in action projects related to environmental conservation.
- The scheme is being operated through Eco-clubs of 50-60 students having interest in environment related issues, formed in member schools.
- Eco clubs are supervised by a Teacher In-charge, who is selected from among the teachers of the member school.
- There is District Implementation and Monitoring Committee to supervise, organise training for In-charge teachers, and monitor periodically the implementation of scheme at the District level.
- There is a State Steering Committee for guidance, direction and to oversee the implementation of the scheme.
- The State Nodal Agency coordinates the implementation of the scheme in the State and organize related activities like training to Master Trainers.
- The National Steering Committee will give overall direction to the programme and ensure linkages at all levels.