Topic: Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India
1. India is unique in its religious, ethnic, linguistic and caste diversity; models of governance, applicable to homogenous societies, simply do not work here. Analyse. (250 words).
Why this question:
The nation’s socio-political fabric comes under tremendous strain in the aftermath of the passage of the Citizens’ Amendment Bill, as well as the impending creation of a National Register of Citizens.
Key demand of the question:
The question wants us to discuss the significance of India’s diversity and the perils of painting it in monochrome.
Analyse – When asked to analyse, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer:
Start by explaining in brief the diversity of India. Also throw light on the protests against the CAA Bill and NRC.
Discuss the significance of diversity to India.
- Historically, the prime causes for India succumbing to foreign invaders have been lack of visionary leadership and absence of internal cohesion.
- If history has a lesson for us, it is that divisive bigotry and religious hysteria can destroy nations while social cohesion and nationalism hold them together.
Further go on to define how these lead to tolerance and acceptance
Discuss the challenges in today’s India:
- continuing agrarian distress — varying only in degree from state to state — and a slowdown in manufacturing, jobs have been scarce for a long time.
- As schools and colleges continue to churn out young and hopeful job-seekers, frustration levels amongst the youth are rising.
- The “demographic dividend” that India had once dreamt would help it overtake an “ageing China” is turning into a nightmare.
- Placed 102 out of 117 countries in the 2019 Global Hunger Index, India remains home to a third of the world’s poor.
- Our filthy cities, teeming with slums, have seen India placed at 129 out of 189 in the 2019 UN Human Development Index.
Provide measures to safeguard the diversity of India.
- With the common man still in the quest for roti, kapda, makan, one had expected that utmost priority would be accorded by our elected representatives to addressing unemployment, hunger, healthcare and education.
Conclude with balanced way forward.