Topic: Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate.
3. Asia-Africa Growth Corridor is considered as a game-changer for India, Japan and Africa. Examine. How is it different from China’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI)? (250 words)
Why this question:
The AAGC is a roadmap for opportunities and aspirations in Asia and Africa. It was launched with an aim to prioritize development projects in health and pharmaceuticals, agriculture and agro-processing, disaster management and skill enhancement. The idea of AAGC had emerged in the Joint Declaration issued by Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi and his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe in November 2016. It will focus on people centric sustainable growth strategy details of which would be evolved through a process of detailed consultation across Asia and Africa.
Key demand of the question:
The question wants us to talk how the AAGC will impact the relations between India, Japan and African countries. One must talk about the benefits of the AAGC, the challenges and finally have to differentiate between AAGC and China’s BRI.
Examine – When asked to ‘Examine’, we have to look into the topic (content words) in detail, inspect it, investigate it and establish the key facts and issues related to the topic in question. While doing so we should explain why these facts and issues are important and their implications.
Structure of the answer:
write a few introductory lines about AAGC and its mandate.
Discuss in detail about the AAGC initiative.
- AAGC aims to be an efficient and sustainable mechanism for linking economies, industries and institutions, ideas and people in Africa and Asia in an inclusive manner.
- There is vast and untapped potential in both Asia and Africa which needs to be explored for shared growth, development, peace, prosperity and stability of these regions.
- Four main components of AAGC are:
- Development and cooperation projects
- Quality infrastructure and institutional connectivity
- Capacity and skill enhancement
- People to people partnerships
Now discuss the implications on India, Japan and African countries.
Finally, discuss how AAGC works vis-à-vis BRI.
- AAGC is a consultative initiative which is essentially a sea corridor unlike OBOR, which entails development of a land.
- AAGC is said to link Africa with India and other countries of South-East Asia and Oceania.
- The initiative is considered to be a “distinct initiative” which would be profitable and bankable, borne out of a consultative process, unlike the ‘government – funded model’ of the BRI project.
- The AAGC is built on the pivot that rather than excessive emphasis on trade and economic relations, the centrality of people in Africa needs to be brought to the fore front
based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.