Topic: Aptitude and foundational values for Civil Service, integrity, impartiality and non-partisanship, objectivity, dedication to public service, empathy, tolerance and compassion towards the weaker-sections.
1. Empathy is seeing with the eyes of another, listening with the ears of another and feeling with the heart of another. Elucidate. (250 words).
Ethics by Lexicon
Key demand of the question:
The question wants us to write in detail about the meaning and importance of empathy as a value and also discuss in detail as to how empathy can be increased among civil servants.
Elucidate – Give a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer
In a few introductory lines define what is empathy.
- Empathy It involves, first, seeing someone else’s situation from his/ her perspective, and, second, sharing that person’s emotions, including, if any, his distress.
- Empathy, is the act of putting yourself in someone else’s shoes.
- It occurs when you are truly trying to understand or experience someone else’s emotions, as if they were your own.
Discuss the importance of empathy.
- It helps us understand how others are feeling so we can respond appropriately to the situation.
- It is typically associated with social behaviour
- Empathy is an interpersonal skill that can be viewed as part of emotional intelligence
- Empathy can however also inhibit social actions, or even lead to immoral behaviour.
Discuss how empathy can be inculcated/ increased.
- Some people are genetically inclined to be highly empathic or not.
- it is possible to increase cognitive, emotional and behavioural empathy through formal training
- instruction about the benefits of showing empathy, how to identify emotions in others, how to feel those emotions and how to comment appropriately on them.
- providing models of a person showing empathy in response to something another has said or done.
- practice at showing empathy etc.
based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.