Topic: Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate.
2. Refugee situations continue to increase in scope, scale, and complexity in the “decade of displacement”. In light of this statement, the Global Refugee Forum is an opportunity to translate the principle of international responsibility-sharing into concrete action. Discuss (250 words)
Why this question:
The first Global Refugee Forum comes at the end of a tumultuous decade in which the number of refugees has risen to over 25 million people worldwide. The Forum will showcase impactful pledges and contributions and the exchange of good practices. At the two-day event, member states of the United Nations (UN) are debating the response of nations to the global refugee situation.
Key demand of the question:
The question wants us to write in detail about the Global refugee crisis and how the Global Refugee Forum can help in international responsibility sharing and help reduce the refugee crisis.
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Structure of the answer:
write a few introductory lines about the Global refugee crisis and increasing number of refugees. Mention about the Global Refugee forum which was underway in Geneva with UN members in participation.
Firstly, throw light on how the refugee crisis in on the rise across the globe.
- According to the UN, by the end of 2018, there were around 70.8 million people around the world who had left their home countries because of conflict and persecution.
- Of these 70.8 million, roughly 30 million are refugees.
- Globally, more two-thirds of all refugees come from five countries: Syria (6.7 million), Afghanistan (2.7 million), South Sudan (2.3 million), Myanmar (1.1 million), and Somalia (0.9 million).
- Countries in the developed regions host 16 per cent of refugees; one-third of the refugee population (6.7 million people) are in the Least Developed Countries.
Explain about the Global Refugee Forum, its mandate.
- The first-ever Global Refugee Forum brings together refugees, heads of state and government, UN leaders, international institutions, development organizations, business leaders and civil society representatives, among others, at the Palais des Nations, the home of the United Nations Office at Geneva.
- Guided by the Global Compact on Refugees, the Global Refugee Forum is an opportunity to translate the principle of international responsibility-sharing into concrete action.
- The Forum will showcase impactful pledges and contributions and the exchange of good practices.
Mention about what measures can be taken to overcome the refugee crisis by various stakeholders like international communities, individual countries, private companies, NGOs etc.
Mention about any good practices if any.
based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.