Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
What to study?
For Prelims: Famous literary works.
For Mains: Contributions to social reforms.
Context: Dec 11 is the birth anniversary of Subramanian Bharati.
About Subramaniya Bharathiyar:
- He was a poet, freedom fighter and social reformer from Tamil Nadu.
- He was known as Mahakavi Bharathiyar and the laudatory epithet Mahakavi means a great poet.
- His songs on nationalism and freedom of India helped to rally the masses to support the Indian Independence Movement in Tamil Nadu.
- “Kannan Pattu” “Nilavum Vanminum Katrum” “Panchali Sabatam” “Kuyil Pattu”are examples of Bharathi’s great poetic output.
- He published the sensational “Sudesa Geethangal” in 1908.
In 1949, he became the first poet whose works were nationalised by the state government.
Bharthi as a social reformer:
He was also against caste system. He declared that there were only two castes-men and women and nothing more than that. Above all, he himself had removed his sacred thread.
He condemned certain Shastras that denigrated women. He believed in the equality of humankind and criticised many preachers for mixing their personal prejudices while teaching the Gita and the Vedas.