Topic: .Parliament and State Legislatures – structure, functioning, conduct of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these.
4. What are local bodies? Enumerate their key objectives. Discuss the causative factors of undue delay in conducting elections for these local bodies and highlight the impact of the same. (250 Words)
Why this question:
The article highlights the undue delay witnessed recently in conducting
Elections for local bodies in Tamil Nadu.
Key demand of the question:
Discuss briefly the concept of local bodies enshrined in Indian constitution and the key objectives of the same and analyse the causes and impact of the delay in their elections.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Introduction: Explain what are local bodies?; institutions of local self-governance, which look after the administration of an area or small
Community such as villages, towns, or cities.
Explain the basic features of these local bodies-
- Provide democratic and accountable government for local communities
- To ensure the provision of services to communities in a sustainable manner
- To promote social and economic development
- To promote a safe and healthy environment; and
- To encourage the involvement of communities and community organizations in the matters of local government.
Discuss the reasons for such delays in the elections – lack of political will, Interference of judiciary, Administrative lapses and political litigation etc.
Explain the impact of such delays on the functioning.
Conclude that Political will coupled with enthusiastic community participation is the need of the hour to revive the state of local bodies in our country.