- Issues related to health.
What to study?
For prelims and mains: Rotavirus- symptoms, transmission and vaccines.
Context: Vice- President has launched the new rotavirus vaccine – ROTAVAC5D.
The vaccine has been designed and developed by Bharat Biotech.
It is a genus of double-stranded RNA virus in the Reoviridae family.
Rotavirus is a leading cause of severe diarrhoea and death among children less than five years of age.
It is responsible for around 10% of total child mortality every year.
Rotavirus-Signs and Symptoms:
- Kids with a rotavirus infection have fever, nausea, and vomiting, often followed by abdominal cramps and frequent, watery diarrhea.
- Kids may also have a cough and runny nose.
- Sometimes the diarrhea that accompanies a rotavirus infection is so severe that it can quickly lead to dehydration.
- As with all viruses, though, some rotavirus infections cause few or no symptoms, especially in adults.
Rotavirus is transmitted by the faecal-oral route, via contact with contaminated hands, surfaces and objects, and possibly by the respiratory route. Viral diarrhea is highly contagious.
Out of all the causes of diarrhoea, rotavirus is a leading cause of diarrhoea in children less than 5 years of age. Rotavirus diarrhoea presents in similar manner like any other diarrhoea but can mainly be prevented through rotavirus vaccination. Other diarrhoea can be prevented through general measures like good hygiene, frequent hand washing, safe water and safe food consumption, exclusive breastfeeding and vitamin A supplementation.