Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
Automotive Mission Plan
What to study?
For Prelims: Overview of AMP 2006 and 2016.
For Mains: Challenges before the automotive sector and reforms necessary.
Context: The Automotive Mission Plan (AMP) 2006-16 has been successful in its endeavour to lay down the roadmap for the development of the industry.
- India has attracted the significant quantum of investments from global and local original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) as well as component manufacturers, exceeding the target of Rs. 1,57,500 crore.
- The Automotive industry has achieved the target of incremental employment creation of 25 million jobs over the period.
- India has now emerged from just an automobile producing hub to designing and development hub as well.
AMP 2026 is the collective vision of the government of India and the automotive industry on where the various segments of the automotive industry and auto component industry need to be by 2026 in terms of size and contribution to the overall Indian economy.
The objective of the Automotive Mission Plan 2026 includes:
- To propel the Indian Automotive industry to become the engine of the “Make in India” programme.
- To make the Indian Automotive Industry a significant contributor to the “Skill India” programme.
- Promote safe, efficient and comfortable mobility for every person in the country, with an eye on environmental protection and affordability through both public and personal transport options.
- To seek an increase in net exports of the Indian Automotive industry several-fold.
- Promote comprehensive and stable policy dispensation for all regulations impacting the industry.
The AMP 2026 is aimed at bringing the Indian Automotive Industry among the top three of the world in engineering, manufacture, and exports of vehicles & components; growing in value to over 12% of India GDP and generating an additional 65 million jobs.