- Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions and bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections
Arundhati Swarna Yojana
What to study?
For Prelims: Overview of the scheme.
For Mains: Need for and significance of such schemes.
Context: The Assam government has announced the launch of ‘Arundhati Swarna Yojana’.
Key features of the scheme:
- Under the scheme, the state government will offer 10 grams of gold as a gift to every adult bride who has completed at least 10th standard and has registered her marriage.
- Note: The government will not give the gold directly but Rs. 30,000 to purchase 10 gms of gold.
- The annual income of the bride’s family must be less than five lakh rupees to avail the scheme.
- Minimum age should be 18 years and 21 years for the bride and bridegroom respectively.
- The family has to register their marriage under the Special Marriage (Assam) Rules, 1954.
- Minimum education should be 10th standard. However, minimum educational qualification criteria have been relaxed for the tribes and workers of tea gardens.
- The eligible bride and bridegroom must apply for the scheme before the date of their wedding.
Sources: the Hindu.