- Issues related to health.
Social Awareness and Action to Neutralise Pneumonia Successfully (SAANS)
What to study?
For Prelims and mains: Key features and significance of the programme.
Context: The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched a campaign in Gujarat named Social Awareness and Action to Neutralise Pneumonia Successfully (SAANS).
- To reduce child mortality due to pneumonia, which contributes to around 15% of deaths of children under the age of five annually.
- To mobilise people to protect children from pneumonia, and train health personnel and other stakeholders to provide prioritised treatment to control the disease.
Key features of the programme:
- A child suffering from pneumonia will be treated with a pre-referral dose of antibiotic amoxicillinby Accredited Social Health Activist (ASHA) workers.
- Pulse Oximeter (device to monitor oxygen saturation) will be used at the Health and Wellness Centre for identification of low oxygen levels in the blood of child and if required, the child can be treated by the use of oxygen cylinders.
- A mass awareness campaignwill be launched about the effective solutions for pneumonia prevention like breastfeeding, age-appropriate complementary feeding and immunization etc.
To know more about Pneumonia: