- November 18, 2019
- Posted by: InsightsIAS
- Category: INSIGHTS
Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
What to study?
For Prelims and mains: ADMM- Plus- composition, objectives and significance.
Context: The latest ADMM-Plus meeting where Defence Ministers of ASEAN countries and eight other nations would gather and discuss the way forward for security cooperation, is being held in Bangkok.
About the ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting Plus (ADMM-Plus):
Consistent with the ADMM guiding principles of open and outward looking, the 2nd ADMM in Singapore in 2007 adopted the Concept Paper to establish the ADMM-Plus.
The ADMM-Plus is a platform for ASEAN and its eight Dialogue Partners to strengthen security and defence cooperation for peace, stability, and development in the region.
Agreed five areas of practical cooperation under this new mechanism, namely maritime security, counter-terrorism, humanitarian assistance and disaster relief, peacekeeping operations and military medicine. In 2013, a new priority area of humanitarian mine action was agreed.
- To benefit ASEAN member countries in building capacity to address shared security challenges, while cognisant of the differing capacities of various ASEAN countries.
- To promote mutual trust and confidence between defence establishments through greater dialogue and transparency.
- To enhance regional peace and stability through cooperation in defence and security, in view of the transnational security challenges the region faces.
- To contribute to the realisation of an ASEAN Security Community which, as stipulated in the Bali Concord II, embodies ASEAN’s aspiration to achieve peace, stability, democracy and prosperity in the region.
- To facilitate the implementation of the Vientiane Action Programme, which calls for ASEAN to build a peaceful, secure and prosperous ASEAN, and to adopt greater outward-looking external relation strategies with our friends and Dialogue Partners.
Sources: the Hindu.