Topic:Structure, organization and functioning of the Executive and the Judiciary; Ministries and Departments of the Government; pressure groups and formal/informal associations and their role in the Polity.
4) Discuss the significant role played by T N Seshan in establishing progressive and autonomous election commission machinery in the country.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article is in the backdrop of Death of former Chief Election Commissioner T N Seshan who played a key role in reforming election system in the country.
Key demand of the question:
One has to discuss in detail the significant role played by T N Seshan.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
In brief explain about T N Seshan – best remembered as the man who cleaned up elections in India.
Explain the following facts and aspects –
- Mr. Seshan was the only one to hold the post of CEC for six years from 1990 to 1996 in the last 50 years.
- It was during Mr. Seshan’s period that the Commission was made a multi-member body in October 1993.
- In the mid-1990s, Mr. Seshan was seen as a crusader against corruption and electoral malpractices. His work was recognized internationally when he was given the Ramon Magsaysay Award for 1996 for exemplary work in government service.
- Discuss his major achievements in detail.
Conclude that he played an important role in establishing progressive and autonomous election commission machinery. Despite facing a volley of criticism that he was exceeding his powers, Mr. Seshan had demonstrated to the outside world that the post of the CEC was no pushover.