Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
Agreement on Reciprocal Logistics Support (ARLS)
What to study?
For Prelims and mains: Key features, need for and significance of ARLS.
Context: India and Russia are finalising a defence agreement that will simplify interoperability and enable military platforms to receive support and supplies across bases in both nations- Agreement on Reciprocal Logistics Support (ARLS).
What is Agreement on Reciprocal Logistics Support (ARLS)?
It is an arrangement that will allow access to India and Russia, to each other’s military facilities for supplies and fuel, expanding the logistics support and operational turnaround of the Indian military.
Benefits and mutual significance:
- This will be beneficial for the Indian Navy, which has a large number of Russian origin ships, that will get access to Russian ports for supplies and refueling. It would be crucial for joint exercises.
- The air force too will benefit by finding it easier to deploy aircraft for the same purpose.
- This access will also be for ports in the Russian part of the Arctic, allowing access to energy resources there.
- Russia, on the other hand, will be able to access Indian ports and air bases.
- Russia has also assured India access to energy resources in the vast Arctic region.
Sources: the Hindu.