Topic: Human Values – lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators; role of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
7) The message delivered by Gandhi throughout his life still finds resonance in the 21st century. Elaborate.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article explains the overall contributions of Mahatma Gandhi and his teachings.
Key demand of the question:
Discuss the fact that The power to transform the world does not flow from political parties or big multi-national companies rather it flows from the collective non-violent energies of ordinary men and women in our society.
Elaborate – Give a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
In brief narrate the context of the question.
One can discuss the following aspects of the question –
- Explain that Mahatma Gandhi spoke on several issues which give us an insight to this thought-process and more importantly also helps us to navigate some of the current issues in our society. Such as on the question of future of women in India. He expressed that they will be equal in every respect to men, if not superior.
- Discuss his views on political ideologies. Example: Socialism, He felt it was good if it did not rely on force to achieve its objectives.
- On the issue of religion- He rejected the idea of intrinsic superiority of one religion over another and the imperative of constricted, exclusive belonging. He also believed that learning good principles from other religion was not intrinsically bad. More importantly, though, Mahatma Gandhi believed social transformation can be brought about only by a change in the moral character of every individual person.
- Indian society at this point of time is facing many challenges such as- rise in majoritarian ideology, fall in the moral character of individuals in society, discrimination of women in all sectors etc.
Conclude that thoughts and messages delivered by Gandhi possess the ability to fight these challenges successfully.