Topic: Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nano-technology, bio-technology and issues relating to intellectual property rights.
6) Edge computing is the new future face of cloud computing. Elucidate while explaining the relevance of edge computing in the coming times.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article suggests that By 2025, according to the global research and advisory firm Gartner, companies will generate and process more than 75% of their data outside of traditional centralized data centres — that is, at the “edge” of the cloud.
Key demand of the question:
The question expects us to elaborate on the new technology of edge computing and in what way it will be the new face of cloud.
Elucidate – Give a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
Define what is edge computing? – Edge computing enables data to be analyzed, processed, and transferred at the edge of a network.
- Explain the application of cloud computing first, and then discuss in what way edge computing is different from it.
- Cloud computing — by which remote servers hosted on the Internet store and process data, rather than local servers or personal computers — is ready to move to the next level.
- Amazon, Microsoft, and Alphabet, the parent company of Google — the technology giants that provide cloud computing infrastructure to major corporates and governments — want to leverage 5G wireless technology and artificial intelligence to enable faster response times, lower latency (ability to process very high volumes of data with minimal delay), and simplified maintenance in computing.
- This is where Edge Computing comes in — which many see as an extension to the cloud, but which is, in fact, different in several basic ways.
- Quote relevant examples highlighting the uses of such applications.
Conclude with way forward.