- Important International institutions, agencies and fora, their structure, mandate.
UN Security Council
What to study?
For Prelims: About UNSC- composition, objectives and functions.
For Mains: Role and significance of UNSC, need for UNSC reforms, why India should be given permanent membership?
Context: India and Sierra Leone seek to expand bilateral ties and push for UNSC reforms.
Reform of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) encompasses the following key issues:
- Categories of membership.
- Question of the veto held by the five permanent members.
- Regional representation.
- Size of an enlarged Council and its working methods.
- Security Council-General Assembly relationship.
- Admit more permanent members.
Why reforms are necessary?
- European and western bias in UNSC P-5. G-4 wants to expand the permanent seats in the UNSC to 10 to include 6 new members G-4 nations apart from one seat to Africa and one seat to Arabs.
- It has been 72 years since the foundation of UNSC. The geopolitical realities have changed drastically, but the Council has changed very little.
- Veto power is grossly misused by the permanent members in their own national interest.
Why India should be given a permanent seat in the council?
- India was among the founding members of United Nations.
- It is the second largest and a one of the largest constant contributor of troops to United Nations Peacekeeping missions.
- Today, India has over 8,500 peacekeepers in the field, more than twice as many as the UN’s five big powers combined.
- India, since long time, has been demanding expansion of UNSC and its inclusion as permanent member in it. It has been a member of UNSC for 7 terms and a member of G-77 and G-4, so permanent membership is a logical extension.
Mains Question: Do you think, looking at recent developments, India is close to achieve its goal of becoming the permanent member of the United Nations Security Council? Discuss.