Topic: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation. Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
4) What is graded response action plan (GRAP)? Discuss the effectiveness of such plans in solving the issue of air pollution in cities like Delhi. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses – stricter measures under Graded Response Action Plan in Delhi-NCR from October 15. It throws light on how have the plan worked in Delhi so far, what is being extended to NCR towns, and where other do states figure in it.
Key demand of the question:
One should explain in detail the concept underlying the graded response action plan (GRAP) and its effectiveness of such plans in solving the issue of air pollution in cities like Delhi.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
In brief explain the genesis of graded action plan.
- Explain that Approved by the Supreme Court in 2016, the plan was formulated after several meetings that the Environment Pollution (Prevention and Control) Authority (EPCA) held with state government representatives and experts. The result was a plan that institutionalized measures to be taken when air quality deteriorates.
- Explain the key features of the plan.
- Discuss the challenges involved in implementing it.
- Elucidate on the positives it brought in, in the cities like that of Delhi in treating the issue of air pollution.
Conclude with way forward.