Topic: Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.
7) Discuss the concept of Integral Humanism outlined by Deendayal Upadhyaya. Also elucidate how integral humanism is the answer to contemporary political, social, economic and religious challenges.(250 words)
Why this question:
Nation paid homage to Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyaya on his birth anniversary Yesterday.
Key demand of the question:
One has to discuss in detail the contributions of Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyaya with special focus on his philosophy of integral humanism.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
In brief define what you understand by integral humanism.
Discuss the following points –
- Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyaya outlined his philosophy for governance in the form of four lectures delivered in 1965 to Bharatiya Jana Sangh (BJS) party-workers in Bombay, titled “Integral Humanism”.
- The title was chosen to contrast it with the thesis of ‘Radical Humanism’ put forward by MN Roy, the former Communist leader.
- According to him, the fundamental cause of the numerous problems that modem India is faced with lies in the indiscriminate application of the Western forms of thought to Indian political life.
- Thus it is opposed to both western capitalist individualism and Marxist socialism of their excesses and alienness, though welcoming to western science. It presents an indigenous economic model that puts the human being at centre stage.
Conclude with significance that the philosophy holds even today.